Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My One Weekend of Fall

This past weekend, after 3 weeks of my first round of PT school tests, I took a break and flew up to Wilmington, NC for my 3 day weekend :) For those of you who do not know, Wilmington was where I lived for the year in between undergrad at Colorado State and PT School down here in the Sunshine State
(one random little fact for you here... Colorado in fact has more days of sunshine... 300+ per year, and Miami, FL has never recorded a temperature of 100+ degrees... ironic)
Anyways, I moved to Wilmington to help a church plant of Mountain View, Crossway Chapel of Wilmington, to start a college ministry on the UNCW campus. It was an absolutely incredible year, and I saw God work in amazing ways (see previous posts). Not only did He bring students to us, but He drew many to Himself, either for hte first time or just closer in their walk. It was such a privilege to be a part of that. I did not even realize at the time what a huge thing I had been a part of though.

This past weekend, I caught a small glimpse of how God has continued to grow and work through this ministry that barely existed this time last year. For the most part, the ministry is student led now, with only a few staff directing. My girls that I loved and poured into last year are now leading Bible studies of 5-6 girls each and meeting with younger girls and challenging others. They are inviting and bringing people in, creating a community that is much like what I experienced in Colorado. They, by God's grace and provision, are meeting as a large group weekly at the church and in just a few weeks will be on campus for this meeting, giving them more opportunity to bring people in. They have stepped up and are running alongside eachother, living life together.

Sunday was the first time I had been to church at Crossway with 2 services. What I thought was going to be so hard for our little body (which I'm sure it was and still is challenging) seemed to be more than fine and has allowed for more growth from college students and families. People have just stepped in to serve. So cool to see.

After church, the college group had a luncheon for students and parents (it was parents' weekend at UNCW). I got to sit in :) At one point, one of the freshman guys got up to share. He talked about coming to college searching for a church, a church family, a place to grow. His orientation leader, Chelsea, talked about Crossway and he asked her about it afterwards and starting coming the first week. He talked about finding that family and a place to grow and challenge him in his walk with the Lord. I definitely teared up. You see, it was 5 years ago, I was that freshman. A new student at Colorado State University at summer orientation, I also was looking for a church family, a place to call home, a place that challenged me in my relationship with God. And it was at orientation that that orientation leader came up to me and told me about Mountain View; I came the first week of classes, and the rest you might say is history. I am absolutely overwhelmed that God would allow me to be apart of what He's doing there and allow me to see it come full circle.

To be apart of something so much bigger than myself, to make an eternal difference simply by being faithful and obedient. I stole this from one of my favorite person's blog info: "If you want to know the truth, I work with a group of people who have dedicated their lives to the mission of giving every college student a chance to completely change their reason for living. That's a lot to say to someone, so I usually say that I lead Bible studies and help students think through the spiritual aspect of life." -Will Walker, The Kingdom of Couches. WOW! That is what I got to do last year! Broke and humiliated most days, but investing in something beyond anything me in and of myself could ever accomplish. THAT is incredible and hard to put into words the sense of "accomplishment" it brings.

I know it was nothing in and of myself, because my wretched flesh wanted to pack up and leave within the first month of being there, because it sucked and was hard, but God is big enough, and in my weakness He is strong. A classmate reminded me of a passage in 2 Corinthians yesterday, 12:9-10. "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I had an incredible and encouraging weekend in Wilmington, but as it was also a time to rehash the past 2 months, I also realized that while I miss Wilmington terribly and how God used me there, my time there for now is done and God has me in Florida right now, to be a PT later, yes, but also to "live for the line" here and now. As I go back, I realize, once again, I do not want to nor can I live the mediocre life that most people pursue... things of this world that will fade away. I pray God enables me to maintain perspective and realize that living for Him is beyond anything this world can offer me. In the midst of tests and the stresses of being back in school, I want to continue to love and pour into others making that impact like I did, by His grace, in Wilmington, Czech, and with the youth in Colorado. It's worth it, so worth it.

No comments: