Friday, March 4, 2011

Prayer Letter

Here is my prayer letter I sent out for more info about our trip and how you can be praying for us this week:

I hope this letter finds you doing well and finding joy in Christ alone, His goodness and faithfulness. He alone is worthy, and it is so exciting that He allows each and every one of us to play a unique role in His perfect plan as we sojourn in this world.

I am still in Florida in my second year of physical therapy school. Last year, I had an opportunity to spend my spring break on a medical mission trip with the Christian Medical and Dental Association and Global Health Outreach to Nicaragua, one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere. I feel called into the field of physical therapy with the purpose of using it as a vessel to carry Christ’s name to other nations. This short week only confirmed that desire of my heart. It was incredible to see how caring for people’s physical needs could be such a perfect door to sharing the gospel and offering eternal hope in Christ that would last long beyond our time there. Feeling incredibly inadequate, it was amazing to see God’s strength in my weakness and how He used our team to draw many people to Himself. Looking back on that short week, I felt like this was what I was made for, surrendering to Him as He willed and worked all things for His good pleasure.

It was an incredible reminder of purpose as I returned to the classroom refreshed. God then began to stir the hearts of 6 believers in my class for other classmates who are non-believers. After meeting and praying together, we started inviting others to a lunch time Bible study. This opened up so many opportunities for sharing our testimonies with others and challenging those around us. God has continued to work among our class of 53 students over the past year and has allowed us to see lives transformed. We laugh that we really had no idea what we were doing (and really still don’t) and felt in way over our heads, but simple acts of obedience and challenging one another in our faith, God has blessed abundantly.

In March, we begin our first 2 month clinical internships and will be passing the Bible study baton to the next class of PT students. We pray the next 8 weeks we will be able to finish strong, not in our own strength but in submission to whatever Christ has for us. Due to the schedule of my clinical, I did not think I would be able to return to Nicaragua this year with CMDA/GHO. However, I came back after Christmas break really challenged to test a few “doors” and see if it could be possible. God is gracious and faithful indeed, and those doors opened. I received the final okay from my clinical director last week to shift my clinical, so I can return to Nicaragua with my team from last year!!

I am so excited for this opportunity, especially right before I go into the clinic full time. Once again, we will go to the small town of Masachapa and set up a clinic and have a chance to meet even the most basic medical needs of a community of people while offering them eternal life in Christ. Last year, the team had over 50 people from all over the country. We had many physicians including surgeons, dentists, a pharmacist, a nursing staff, and students in all healthcare fields as well as many logistics personnel and a pastor. We had triage, a medical clinic, pharmacy, dental clinic, two surgical suites, and an optometry clinic with hundreds of pairs of donated glasses, and yes, I even had the chance to do some physical therapy on patients. Overall, we saw over 2000 people during the week. But more importantly, we were able to minister to the people, praying and sharing the Gospel with them. CMDA/GHO also has many people on staff in Nicaragua that are able to follow up with those who accept Christ and provide them with resources for fellowship and growth after we are gone.

My hope in sending out these letters is to raise up an army of people praying for us during these last few weeks with my classmates and as I prepare and go overseas. I invite you to join us in impacting this country for Christ. In addition to praying for our team, our fundraising efforts, unity with one another in Christ, safety, etc., please pray that God would be preparing a way for us and softening hearts for our short time there. Pray that He will give us spirits of power and boldness and words to speak to bring His awesome and marvelous name glory in Central America, that people will see and experience not our medical expertise, but the love of Christ and a life-changing relationship with Him.

No comments: