It has been quite a while since I have written anything on here. But it struck me tonight as I laid in my bed unable to sleep that sometimes processing things can be more effective through speedily typing on a keyboard than writing in my journal or talking to someone. The thought processes zipping through my brain seemed a little more appropriate for here, so here goes.
Passion 2013 has been going on in Atlanta this week. I have caught as many sessions as I could through the live stream online. The first night, Louie Giglio, founder of the Passion movement, and Andy Stanley, founder of Northpoint Church in the Atlanta area, the 2nd largest church in America (I think), brought out on stage their youth director from middle and high school. This dear, faithful servant of the Lord is now almost 90 years old. She stands on the stage with a man who has inspired a generation for Jesus around the world and another man who has influence over and pastored one of the largest cities in the world, all because she was faithful. Those many years ago, she was simply faithful to use her gifts to disciple and encourage young people, in a stage of life most people just give up on. Can you even imagine the honor she feels that God used her simple act of faithfulness in such a profound way to impact thousands and thousands of people?? So encouraging and she had absolutely no idea at the time, and it's such a privilege she was even able to see that now!
Then, for years I have wanted to watch Schindler's List and have never gotten around to it. I got the DVD for Christmas, and after an awfully long week back at work, I settled down on my couch to watch it tonight. First off, WOW! Such an incredibly well done movie. So many things stuck out to me, but I will attempt to narrow them down. At the end of the movie, Oskar is presented with a ring forged by the Jews he saved that has etched in it "He who saves one life saves the world entire." This is profound in and of itself. But then, he completely breaks down sobbing that it wasn't enough. His car, his pin even, could have been another person. Earlier in the movie someone had asked, "What is a person worth to you?" So finally, after the heart and gut wrenching depiction of history, the screen fades from a shot of the over a thousand Jews he saved then to the ones who remain today. Approximately 1100 were saved, and their descendants now number over 6000. But we are numb to numbers, which is why as they showed the survivors, their faces, placing stones on Schindler's tombstone, I sobbed. The impact this one man had during arguably one of the bleakest periods of human history not only for those Jews but for generations to come. "He who saves one life saves the world entire."
To quote yet another cinematic epic (that I also have yet to see :), "What we do in life echoes in eternity." Christine Caine tweeted a few weeks ago that the only things in this world that are eternal are people's souls and the Word of God - invest in those things that are eternal. Pastor Tom always talked about our lives as a dot on the line of time, challenging, "Live for the line, not the dot." Live your life doing things that will echo into eternity, impacting generations to come and ultimately the Kingdom of Heaven.
Finally, I am reading a biography of Dr. Ernie Steury, a medical missionary to Kenya (Miracle at Tenwek). As he sits on the brink of his decision both to become a missionary and later a missionary doctor, he prays, "Lord, I don't know what you want me to do. But whatever you can do with my life, here it is!" I feel a little bit like Dr. Steury right now. Here I am, a physical therapist just out of school. For the first time since high school, life feels a bit like I'm standing still or just treading water. I am unsure of what the next step will be, but I do know that Dr. Steury's prayer is the same as my own, and that nothing I can dream up will even compare to the things God has in store for me. I pray for the courage to remain faithful and obedient when it seems most hopeless and that somehow the Lord will use my life to impact His Kingdom and eternity, and even now in the stillness I wouldn't be tempted by the things of this world that will remain in the dot, but would live for the line each and every moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment