I had such a sweet encouragement today.
My second day at Tenwek I worked with 2 ladies, one with a total hip and one with a total knee, both one day after their surgeries. They amazed me with their strength and walked with walkers that first day on minimal pain medication. It was only a couple days later that they both went home. Working with them had been the highlight of my day.
Today, each of them returned to clinic for their follow up appointment. Both of them were doing fabulous and it was such a delight to see them. One of them pulled me aside. She said when she went back to her home, her entire village was amazed. They were amazed that when she left she was in so much pain she couldn't walk, but when she came back just 4 days later, she could walk. They said, "We must go to this mission hospital!" And so today, when she came back for her follow up, she brought not only her family, but several of her neighbors who all received treatment from various clinics. I saw at least 4 people, and I think there were at least 4-5 more at other places in the hospital. And each of them were delighted to be there and with their treatment.
I was astounded and reminded of several times when Jesus heals people in the gospels and the person runs home and the people are amazed and glorify God. This was such a sweet picture of this and I felt so honored to be apart of it. I saw something in this group of people I haven't seen here a whole lot - hope. I pray God uses that little spark for His children here that endure so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment