I have been
seeing an older gentleman in the hospital. He had a pretty extensive
orthopedic surgery after a femur fracture (femur fractures here are like the
common cold at home) , but it was time for him to start moving around. I
went in the first day and he tried and tried and tried to get me to come back
tomorrow. After he realized I was more stubborn than he was, he relented
and we got him up and took a few steps with a walker. He was talking and
talking the whole time in his tribal language. The other guys in the ward were laughing and the
nurse helping me just rolled his eyes. I imagine I didn't want whatever
he was saying to be translated. After a labored short walk, he made it
back to bed and I got him settled. He grabbed my hand and said
"Asante san." That one, I have learned - thank you very
much! I smiled and said I would see him tomorrow.
The next 2 days
were pretty similar to the first, only we walked just a bit further.
However, on the next day, I was walking to his ward and found him sitting
outside on a bench (the wards are separate buildings and patients often sit
outside to bask in the sun and get their vitamin D, so they tell me). He
looked up and grinned. He said he had walked all the way out here and
wanted me to come and find him there. The next day I found him walking
all the way around the building. Keep in mind, these are major orthopedic
surgeries, and the most pain medication these patients are on is just a bit
better than Motrin or Advil we get over the counter.
A few days later, I
went by just to check on him. He told me he had walked all around
the hospital looking for me the day before to show me how good he
was doing and that he gets to go home soon. This past week, one of the other patient’s in
the ward saw me and told me that Peter wanted me to come by and see him. I found him outside in the sunshine, and to
greet me, he stood up without the walker and shook my hand. My eyes welled with tears as I celebrated with
him – less than 3 weeks after a femur fracture and surgery and here he
was. Amazing. He thanked me and told me I had been a best
friend to him here at Tenwek. He also
shared that he is going to be baptized this month when he gets home. He has been going to a Catholic church from
what I could gather, but sounds like God has moved in his time here at Tenwek. My heart was so full! To God be all the glory for how He has healed
this man.
No comments:
Post a Comment